Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Me? Crafty? Who woulda thunk it!?

I don't know what's gotten into me! I have been gettin' my craft on lately! I can't stop making stuff...and the more I do, the more I wanna do! It started with the little sundress I made Addy:

However, not being real creative or crafty by nature, I've had to do some searching on the web. Here's some great blogs I've found, complete with tutorials for future projects I wanna try!


Today, I'll be cutting out pieces to start this quilt. Granted, I've never made a quilt before, but it's too cute to not at least give it a try! Our little one is due in 5 months...think I can finish before then? My goal is to do one square a day so that the top piece will be finished in a little more than a month. Thanks, Jennifer, for the great tutorial!


I'm also going shopping for the fabric to make these faux roman shades for my kitchen and bathroom. So easy! I can't wait to see how they turn out! Check out the rest of Thrifty Decor Chick's blog for so many great ideas for decorating on the cheap. She has some awesome thrift store furniture that she has refinished...she makes me want to spray paint all of my furniture black!

Cluck Cluck Sew has made some adorable quilts and has other cute crafty ideas on her blog...like these vintage-style earrings I want to make for Addy. Aren't they adorable?

I'm going to look at Home Goods today for some towels to use with this tutorial, created by Ashley over at Lil Blue Boo. I'm going to make a dog bed, 2 floor pillows for the kids' reading corner, and a few big pillows for the couches. Ashley is also doing a giveaway right now on her blog, so head over and check it out!

I recently recovered my dining room chairs. They were suffering terribly from a lot of spilled juice and spaghetti sauce stains. They went quickly from this (I know, gross!):


To this:

An immediate improvement, complete with plastic covers. I know...a little "grandmother-ish", but hey, MUCH easier to keep clean!

Now I'm thinking of painting the chairs and table to cover the scratches and wear. I also have a matching sideboard that would need new drawer pulls. They were pretty at one time, but they are 12 years old and showing their age! The trouble? My hubby loves the knotty pine...everything in our home is knotty pine...I'm ready for the change, he doesn't like change so much. So, a little convincing is in order, but I think I'll win in the end!

I'm also going to re-purpose this boring contraption:


I'm going to paint the metal frame and then sew a cute applique on the front of each canvas "basket". Right now, I keep extra sheet sets in it (storage is at a premium in this house!), but I want to use it for the nursery to keep baby socks, onesies, diapers, toiletries, etc.

Now, if you're still reading, I need your opinion on something. A friend gave us a matching set of these antique chairs:

Some days I like them "as is", but other days, they're just a little too "yellow"! So, what do you think? Are they chic and vintage? Or do they desperately need an update?

So many ideas, so little time...what's a girl to do?

Blessings!
Brandi

4 comments:

Simple said...

LOL! I know it's so much fun to read peoples blogs and get inspired to make your home beautiful and to do so thrifty. Also your ahead of us in the fact that your nesting. haha
The chairs look great, and the plastic cover is a must with children. I have put plastic covers on bar stools before cause of mine. The chairs that were given to you if your decor is similar you could get by with them as is by making some pillows that would go. But if they throw off what you picture for the room then cover them.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and commenting. Please visit again soon.
Blessings

Serial Mommy said...

i don't like the fabric on the chairs...it's too busy for me, and i do think the color is a bit on the "odd" side...i do love what you did to your chairs...my hubby is the same about the natural wood...i think you'll win in the end too!

A Country Homemaker said...

I sat get a some red pillows to place on them to add some contrast! :-)

A Country Homemaker

Ashley said...

Just fyi....I started a Flickr Pool if you would like to upload this ADORABLE dress ;) Hope you are having a great weekend!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/lilblueboo/pool/